Awards & Honors
A 1989 High Honors Graduate of The Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, New York, Christopher Lampo is a Certified Executive Chef by The American Culinary Federation and holds a Bachelor of Science degree with Honors from Florida International University in Hospitality Management. He is a Founding Member of the Culinary Institute of America’s Alumni Council Board of Trustees. His numerous awards and accolades include membership in the prestigious Les Amis d’Escoffier society of professional chefs, as well as Chaines des Rotisseurs and DiRoNA (Distinguished Restaurants of North America). He is also a member of The American Culinary Federation and The World Association of Cooks Society. He has received the Les Amis d’Escoffier Award of Merit. His restaurant, Christopher's World Grille, has received many National Awards including the DiRoNA Achievement of Distinction in Dining Award, Triple A’s impressive 4-Diamond rating, Wine Spectator's Award of Excellence for the past ten years in a row, OpenTable.com's "Top 100 Most Romantic Restaurants in America," OpenTable.com Diner's Choice Award for the Houston area and TripAdvisor's 5 Star Excellence. Local Awards include the Best of the Brazos in Fine Dining for 16 years and Eagle Reader's Choice Award for Fine Dining and Best Chef. Christopher's also serves as the Preferred Caterer for President George & Barbara Bush at their private residence and Presidential Library. Chef Christopher Lampo and Christopher's World Grille has also been featured in the New York Times and Texas Monthly Magazine.
- Culinary Institute of America Mentor and Intern Site
- AAA 4-Diamond Rating
- Wine Spectator Award of Excellence 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- OpenTable Award - One of the "Top 100 Most Romantic Restaurants in America" 2017
- OpenTable Diners' Choice Award for the Houston Area - Best Ambience, Best Food, Best Service, and Best Overall
- TripAdvisor 5 Star Excellence
- DiRoNA - Distinguished Restaurants of North America membership
- Preferred Caterer for President George & Barbara Bush at their private residence and Presidential Library
- National TV Shoutout! - During the TAMU vs. Missouri game on Nov. 15, 2014, Sportscaster, Jesse Palmer, raved about Christopher's to Co-Sportscaster, Brent Musburger, about how Christopher's World Grille is his FAVORITE restaurant in town! He talked about how he always gets the House Filet loaded with extra shrimp and crabmeat!
- He also said, "...if you are ever in town, you have to go at at Christopher's... heck, it's where former Presidents eat!"
- Sports Illustrated requested Chef Christopher and Christopher's World Grille to showcase a local flavor Cooking Demo at the Sports Illustrated College Football Tour 2015 presented by Go RVing!
- Chef of the Year 2006 – Texas Chef’s Association, Brazos Valley Chapter
- Chef/Owner Christopher Lampo, Certified Executive Chef by The American Culinary Federation 2005 - present
- Best Fine Dining Restaurant in the Brazos Valley - Voted 16 years in a row by Best of the Brazos Awards (every year this award have been given)
- The Bryan Eagle Readers' Choice Awards
- Best Fine Dining Restaurant - 18 years in a row from the year we opened
- Best Chef - multiple years
- Most Romantic Dining - multiple years
- Best Special Occasion Restaurant - multiple years
- Favorite Overall Restaurant - 2008, 2009
- Best Business Lunch - 2009
- Best Waitress, Karin Shepard - 2009; Runner-Up for Best Waitress - 2014
- Bryan Rotary Club/Newman 10 Business Performance Award honoring sales achievements and economic influence on the local community
- Les Amis d’Escoffier Society of Houston
- Award of Merit for Culinary Contributions
- Honored Host Designee for Annual Spring Luncheon, 2007
- International Wine & Food Society of Houston
- Certificate of Recognition for Culinary Excellence & Outstanding Service
- Honored Host Designee for Annual Spring Luncheon, 2008
- Chef Showdown Champion – Texas Mushroom Festival 2005
- Brazos Bravo Award – for marketing and advertisement campaign excellence
- Texas Beef Council Designee – Selected as one of the Top Chefs in Texas to participate in a Food Arts Magazine Research & Development Expose, Spring 2008
- Personal Chef and Preferred Caterer to George and Barbara Bush at The George H.W. Bush Presidential Library, Foundation and private residence as they entertain heads of state, international dignitaries, political leaders and industry leaders from around the world.
Additional Staff Awards/Achievements:
- Wine Director, Devin Tinney, 1st Level Sommelier 2008
- Head Server, Karin Shepard, Texas Restaurant Association Best Server in Texas, 1999
Memberships and Associations
Board Memberships, past and present
- Founding Member- Alumni Council of The Culinary Institute of America
- Bryan-College Station Convention and Visitor's Bureau
- College Station Independent School District Education Foundation Board
- Memorial Student Center Organization for Performing Arts Association
- Texas Restaurant Association - Brazos Valley Chapter
- Texas Chef’s Association- Brazos Valley Chapter- Membership Chair
- Pastoral Council- St. Mary’s Catholic Church, Diocese of Austin
- The Culinary Institute of America Judiciary Board
- Les Chaines des Rotisseurs - Maitre Rotisseur
- Les Amis d’Escoffier
- American Culinary Federation- Certified Executive Chef
- World Society of Cooks
- Texas Chefs Association
- Texas Restaurant Association
- Bryan/College Station Chamber of Commerce
"Culinary Institute Picks Bryan Chef for Board"
Sunday, February 24, 2008, p.E1
"Christopher Lampo, owner of Christopher's World Grille in Bryan, has been selected to serve as a founding member of the Culinary Institute of America's alumni council board of trustees.
Lampo was a 1989 high honors graduate of the New York-based institute.
'The school would like to reconnect with all of its alumni,' Lampo said. 'They have almost 40,000 alumni around the world.'
Lampo said the institute's alumni director chose 15 board members from 200 applicants. The alumni director had requested a resume and other information from the 200 graduates.
Lampo, who is also a certified executive chef with the American Culinary Federation, holds a bachelor of science degree in hospitality management from Florida International University. He opened Christopher's World Grille in 1999, after working at the Boca Raton Resort and Club, the Houstonian Hotel and Spa, Houston's Restaurants, The River Cafe in London and Christopher's American Grille in London.
He also worked as a chef on private yachts in Europe, North America and the South Pacific."
Texas Co-Op Power, Bryan Texas Utilities
"Christopher's World Grille - Local Boy Travels World and Brings It Home With Him"
May 2008, p.20-21
"...Diners visiting this upscale restaurant located in Bryan at 5001 Boonville Road enjoy tantalizing fare that is the culmination of a lifetime of cooking.
...Diners will enjoy a new menu every six months...Using only the best ingredients such as prime beef and fresh seafood flown in twice each week and paired with wines recommended on the Wine Spectator wine list, his continental cuisine is infused with a variety of influences - French, Italian, Asian, Southwest Texas and German.
Mr. Lampo and his more than 100 employees strive to make your meal or catered even perfect. They will customize any meal. 'Our goal,' he asserted, 'is to give our customers a chance to escape from their everyday lives. We do more than sell food and wine; we provide an experience...'
He (Mr. Lampo) emphasized, 'It is an honor to serve and be a part of our community members' lives. Whether we are serving for President George W. Bush, someone celebrating a special occasion, or looking for a nice evening meal, we do our best to make the experience memorable.'
Besides offering delectable meals to patrons, Mr. Lampo and his staff choose a charitable project several times each year. In addition to specific community projects, Christopher's World Grille will support as many charitable organizations as possible.
Always striving to make the dining experience special, Christopher's World Grille offers live entertainment and special dining events...If you would like to step into other parts of the world, Mr. Lampo and his dedicated staff will be happy to provide you with a meal specially designed to make just such an escape possible.
The Kansas City Star
Field Trips: Cities of the Big 12 Conference: Part 2
"Five Slam Dunks"
Sunday, February 26, 2006, p. F5
By Susan J. Kraus - author of "A Game Guide to Towns of the Big 12"
"For outstanding gourmet dining, Christopher's World Grille (5001 Boonville Road, Bryan) is tops. You'll find intimate decor and ambiance, a tempting menu of world-class cuisine and exceptional service. Try the blackened shrimp and crawfish fondue to start, the white Godiva cordial to end."
January 1999 "Yacht Cuisine" by Melanie Maxcey
"Christopher Lampo had cooked for the likes of Robert De Niro and Elle Macpherson. Now he wants to cook for you . . . After a 10-year absence, the Bryan native has lots of stories to tell. He has managed restaurants and worked abroad as head chef on two private yachts. Now, after returning to Bryan a year ago, he is working to fulfill another dream, owning his own restaurant.
Lampo says he always knew he wanted to be a chef. 'When I was 10 years old, I had a cookbook. My brother and his friends would play football, and I would create three to four snacks for them - ham and cheese and Ritz crackers.'
He's moved out of the pee-wee football league. A graduate of the Culinary Institute of American, Lampo worked in management at Houston's restaurant and then the Houstonian Hotel... He worked in London and then went to the South of France... He traveled the entire Italian Coastline and the southern coast of France. He met - and cooked for - actor Denzel Washington, Golden Globe winner Debbie Allen and her husband Norm Nixon, a former NBA basketball player.
...Lampo sailed the world over. Alaska. Australia. New Zealand. The Kingdom of Tonga. The Kermadec Islands. British Columbia. Singapore. The islands of Fiji and Solomon. And parts of Indonesia. He's made sushi for Michael Douglas. He has also served Dennis Hopper, Robert De Niro, Mick Jagger, Yoko Ono and models Elle Macpherson and Naomi Campbell.
... Lampo has had some incredible experiences: seeing glaciers in Alaska, watching a tribal canoe launching ritual, surviving three hurricanes (on a yacht) and befriending village children in Papua new Guinea... So when he came back to Bryan to spend some time with his family, the timing seemed to be right for another one of his dreams...(Christopher's World Grille).
... Lampo states, 'Food is a way people can indulge themselves and not worry about it. It's a way to get adventure, to escape, experience new things and feel comfortable.'"
Riviera Respite: The Joys of Season's End on the Cote D'Azur
by Barry Pickthall - March 1996
"The Cote D'Azur has a great deal to commend it... Nice, with its deep-water port, is the charter capital for many of the most prestigious yachts... (including the Fulmara)... The Fulmara's guest book can almost compete with Who's Who. Her English captain, Sydney Smith, is one of the most experienced in the Mediterranean.
... Another area (of the Fulmara) that could not be faulted was the fine food abroad. Christopher Lampo, the American master chef hails from Texas and takes as much pride in presentation as he does in preparing each day's fare. Before taking to the ocean, Christopher studied the finer culinary arts under some of the best chefs in the US, including the present Chef de Cuisine at the White House."
Classic Yacht, Classic Destination - 1996
"Fulmara, the classic 150 motor-yacht built in 1930 for a San Francisco paper magnate, and now fully restored after a winter refit in Cannes, is open for charter in the Western Mediterranean this summer . . .
Christopher Lampo, the American master chef who hails from Texas and trained under the present Chef de Cuisine at the White House, is back on board for a second season...(The Fulamara's) rates are $56,000 per week in July and August; $49,000 per week other summer months."
The New York Times
Friday, September 22, 2006
36 Hours in College Station by Finn-Olaf Jones
"Presidential Brunch - When former President Bush comes to town to visit his presidential library, his meals are catered by Christopher Lampo, unless Mr. Bush just shows up at Mr. Lampo's restaurant, Christopher's World Grille, a 1913 former ranch house on the north edge of town with carved Victorian mirrors and leopard-print rugs. The brunch itself - specialties like chilaquiles (scrambled eggs on green salsa-tossed tortilla chips), chili-crusted crayfish salad and a bananas Foster French toast - will make you want to yell yeehaw, though you won't want to jeopardize your chance of being served the house's excellent bloody Marys and mimosas."
Texas Monthly Magazine
November 2004, Dining Guide
"Renovated and revamped, this 100-year-old farmhouse houses a jazzy, upscale dining spot where chef-owner Christopher Lampo's menu is making an impression far beyond the city's borders. The evening's hits included almond-crusted brie with apricot-mango chutney and jalapeno-and-basil-rubbed shrimp atop spinach-portobello enchiladas. Milder pecan-crusted chicken came stuffed with smoked queso fresco, spinach, and roasted tomato. No words can describe the beauty of the fresh-berry napoleon with thin almond pralines, white chocolate mouse, and a bevy of berries tossed in Grand Marnier."